Who Can Benefit?
Each participant who is accepted in the course has a high level of intellectual curiosity, a strong interest in finance, and strong analytical skills. Although there is no specific degree requirement, most participants will have backgrounds in quantitative disciplines such as mathematics, statistics, physical sciences, engineering, operations research, computer science, finance, or economics. Participants from other disciplines should have familiarity with calculus, spreadsheets and computational problem solving.
EPAT® live lectures are recorded and uploaded onto personalized learning portal. Each participant gets their own account, allowing him/her to access the following:
Live & Recorded lectures
Lecture notes, exercises, additional reading material
Sample code and spreadsheets
Support team access to resolve your queries on priority
Why this Algo Trading Course?
QuantInsti’s Algo trading course is aimed for individuals working in, or intending to move into the buy or sell-side of business focusing on derivatives, quantitative trading, electronic market-making or trading related technology and risk management.
Acquire the knowledge, tools & techniques used by traders in the real world
Expert Teaching & Support
The EPAT® faculty is an acclaimed team of academicians and professionals who are all specialists in the field
Our career services and job resources become available to you the moment you begin the program and last throughout your professional career
Lifelong learning at QuantInsti®
We promise lifelong learning to students post EPAT® completion, which comprise of:
- Access to a network of faculty and alumni, who are practitioners and researchers in Quantitative, Algorithmic and High Frequency Trading
- Reaching out to the industry members through our online communities, LinkedIn groups
- Assistance in placement and career growth in relevant roles
- Invitation to guest lectures which include new technological innovations, training to work on new platforms, advancement in the relevant field
- Access to the updated EPAT content
Who can apply?
What is the fee for EPAT?
For the EPAT® programme batch starting in October, 2019, the standard fee is $5999. For Indian resident participants the discounted fee is ₹240,990 (plus taxes). The updated fees details are available here. Qualified applicants are provided with financial assistance and flexible payment plans.
What financial assistance is available?
Financial assistance provided to qualified applicants include but are not limited to the following:
- Merit based scholarship - QuantInsti offers scholarship to deserving candidates who score well in the test available here
- Student discounts - QuantInsti believes in investing in the future of tomorrow, the students of today. We have a discounted fee for full-time students.
- Participants from Emerging Markets - Special consideration is given to participants from Emerging Markets so that the programme is more affordable.
- Educational Loans - QuantInsti is partnered with financial institutes who provide education related loans to the Indian resident participants.
- EPAT® programme is recognized under the Financial Training Scheme (FTS) of Institute of Banking and Finance ( IBF is the national accreditation and certification agency for financial industry competency in Singapore). The FTS provides 50% funding for direct training costs subject to cap of SG$2,000 per participant per programme. You can read more about FTS & eligibility criterion for Singapore Citizens & Singapore Permanent residents here.
Get in touch with our programme counselors here.
What is the procedure for Educational Loan?
QuantInsti has partnered with government approved NBFCs to facilitate 0% financial assistance with minimal documentation for the Indian resident participants. To apply for the assistance, you would be required to share following documents with QuantInsti:
- First and Last Name
- Scanned Copy of PAN Card & Aadhaar Card - This will help to generate your CIBIL score
- Last three months pay slip (in case of a salaried employee) or last three year filed ITR (in case of self-employed)
- Last 4 months bank statement
Once you share the mentioned documents, your programme manager will connect you with the respective NBFC associates. Respective NBFC will share the sanction letter (loan approval letter) on loan approval, and you can proceed with the downpayment as per the plan agreed with the NBFC associate.
On receipt of a defined downpayment and the payment from partnered NBFC, you'll get access to the Learning Management System (Primer Modules) to kick off your Algo and Quant learning journey.
What is EPAT scholarship test?
It is an online test comprising of college level questions from relevant disciplines: Statistics, Financial Markets, Options, and Programming. For high scorers, merit based discount is applicable to their EPAT fees. You can take the test here.
What is the admission process for EPAT?
It is a simple three step process:
- Submit you application form here.
- Wait for your application to get accepted.
- Pay the fees.
Soon after the successful receipt of your EPAT fees & acceptance, you are given access to the learning management system (LMS portal) and your EPAT journey begins!
Before admission, we offer to facilitate a one-on-one counselling session that will focus on understanding the strengths and weaknesses of the participant. These sessions do not necessarily decide the participants’ eligibility but help counsellors assist them with informed guidance prior to enrolment.
Would I get a refund if I change my mind after enrolling?
We provide an opportunity to clear all your doubts about the programme prior to enrollment. Also, you get access to a dedicated team support even before your EPAT programme starts. Therefore, we follow a no refund policy.
While pursuing my undergraduate/bachelor’s degree, can I apply and be accepted into EPAT?
Yes, you can apply. College students can benefit from EPAT by making themselves “more recruitable” with the required practical skills in the financial markets domain. EPAT alumni include college students who bagged good roles after successful completion of their college degree and EPAT.
Please note that while QuantInsti offers lifetime placement services to all EPAT alumni, it does not guarantee any placements.
QuantInsti offers student discounts to all full-time students, which can be availed by sharing the valid college ID proof and other required documents.
Send us your details by filling the application form here and we will arrange a counselling call for you.
Without programming or technology background, can I apply and be accepted into EPAT?
Traders and financial market professionals who don’t have programming experience, can benefit & prepare themselves for their EPAT journey with the help of the primer content shared upon your successful enrollment. This is a self-study, interactive module which helps you code, understand basics and prepare yourself for the classroom sessions which cover advance and complex concepts as well. The primer module also contains a test which helps participants assess their learning.
Without trading or financial markets experience, can I apply and be accepted into EPAT?
Yes, you can apply. If you are from engineering or quantitative sciences background, you might already have some basic exposure to the skills required for Algorithmic trading domain. To check your eligibility in EPAT, apply for the scholarship test here. EPAT counsellors will get in touch with you and guide you further.
For beginners in Quantitative domain, EPAT offers primer modules on Statistics, Econometrics, Options, Financial markets, Excel computation and Python programming along with assessment tests in each of these categories.
How many batches run in a year?
Historically, we have been running 4 batches of EPAT in a year.
What is the last date to apply for the upcoming batch?
The updated dates and fees related information is available here.
How long is the QuantInsti’s Executive Programme in Algorithmic Trading®?
Although, the course duration is of six months, you get more time for self-study and prepare for the course if you enroll early.
The enrollment for a batch starts around four months prior to the actual programme start date. As soon as you enroll successfully, you are provided with access to the student portal where you start with the primer content. You prepare on topics like Statistics, Econometrics, Options, Financial markets basics, Excel computation and Python programming.
From the batch starting date till batch closing date, you will get a period of six months to attend lectures, complete assignments, tests, project work and take the final examination.
How are primer and basic topics covered in the programme?
Before the starting of a batch or/and during the first month, the primer topics in the fields of Statistics, Econometrics, Options, Financial markets basics, Excel computation and Python programming are covered. There are short tests on each of these topics which allow participants to test their knowledge in these fields. The first month is on introductory topics in Algorithmic Trading such as basic statistics, programming basics and understanding of order book & execution strategies, so that a strong foundation is laid for the rest of the programme.
What kind of advanced topics are covered in the programme?
Advanced topics include time series analysis, machine learning in trading, event-based execution, market making, equities and ETF trading based strategies, market microstructure, event driven backtesting, trading with mixture models among others. Different programming languages and tools used in the programme include Excel, R, Python, and Matlab. The programme allows participants to specialize in an asset class/strategy paradigm through project work which includes working under a trader’s mentorship. To receive the detailed curriculum, please do write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
How many hours of commitment is required on a weekly basis to perform well in the programme?
Typically 8-12 hours of self study, along with 6-8 hours of live lectures are required weekly to do well in the programme.
What are my options if I can’t complete programme requirements within allotted period of time?
Your dedicated Support Manager will help you throughout the programme to ensure that you do not lag behind. Even if it happens, then depending on the completion date, you may choose the self-paced learning option available with a few months of extension. If you meet the minimum criterion for certification, you might be given the Certification of Participation in case you do not pass the final examination.
Under what circumstances, can I move to a later batch?
You can apply for a batch defer to a later one, before the starting date of your enrolled batch. If your application is complete along with all required documents and it fulfills the required criteria, you could be moved to a later batch.
What kind of certification is provided after successful completion?
The course participants who complete the coursework along with the final EPAT exam successfully are awarded ‘Certification of Excellence’. In case a participant is not able to clear the exam due to any reason but has completed most of the course work, (s)he would be awarded with a ‘Certification of Participation’.
What is the minimum passing requirement to be eligible for ‘Certification of Excellence’?
The minimum requirements to be eligible for ‘Certification of Excellence’ includes certain percentage of
- Attendance in lectures or time spent in watching the recordings
- Score in quizzes and assignments
- Score in the final examination
What is EPAT Project?
EPAT Project is practical, self-driven, strategy creation or business related research work that participants carry out under mentorship of the respective domain expert. The project work is optional and carries no weightage in the final score. However, it serves as an excellent opportunity for the driven and motivated candidates to specialize in an asset class or strategy paradigm by working with relevant data and quant platform(s). Collaborative project work allows participants to work together with fellow classmates.
Will I, as an EPAT participant, be given access to a trading software as a part of the course?
You will be required to work on different platforms and softwares in the programme. Most of these platforms and softwares are either open-sourced or their free/demo versions are available for EPAT participants. You would not be required to purchase any product for learning purposes. QuantInsti doesn’t sell or endorse any product used in the programme. It is only recommended for learning purposes.
Will I, as an EPAT participant, be given new trading strategies?
You will be taught different strategy paradigms by experts in their domains. QuantInsti does not claim to offer ‘profitable strategies’. EPAT aims to deliver the concepts & advanced techniques to create various types of Quantitative Strategies.
Will I, as an EPAT participant, be helped to set up my own trading desk and start live trading?
EPAT curriculum includes topics on business environment and setting up on your trading desk in which participants get to interact live with faculty and experts who have domestic and international experience in running Algorithmic & Quantitative trading, including HFT business. The participants are exposed to the dynamics involved in setting up an algorithmic trading desk.
What are the prerequisites to start with the programme?
You need to have:
- A personal computer with the minimum configuration as: Operating system such as Windows: Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1, Windows 10) or Mac: Mac (v 10.7), Mac (v 10.7), Mac (v 10.8), Mac (v 10.9), Mac (v 10.10). Additionally you will need some softwares/programming languages installed on your system in order to have hands-on experience as well as finishing the program. List of required softwares and the installation manuals will be shared with you before the programme starts.
- Language skills: You should be able to understand spoken and written English well.
- Enough time and motivation: You should be able to devote 10-15 hours on a weekly basis at the least. The more the better!
What are the benefits to an EPAT alumnus?
Career Assistance: Continual career guidance from the experts! One of the EPATians got placed after 6 years of completing EPAT.
Lifelong learning content: EPAT alumni keep themselves up-to-date with the latest EPAT content curated by the experts.
Ancillary resources and services (Quantra, Blueshift): EPAT alumni are given access to ancillary services including access to trading platform, special discounts on quantitative trading related events & resources, invitations to conferences, sometimes exclusively!
Access to Quant network: Opportunity to connect with EPATians from 60+ countries, helping to create a global network of Quants and Algo traders. Country specific meetups are arranged for participants/alumni and faculty to get together occasionally.
Exclusive Invites to Webinars and Workshops for EPAT alumni: They attend the Guest lectures taken by industry stalwarts.
You can find more details on our Alumni page.
Can I, an EPAT participant, attend classroom sessions?
Yes, you can attend a few classroom sessions in Mumbai, India, when the concerned faculty is based in Mumbai. Since most of the faculty members are located outside Mumbai, even if you are present in the QuantInsti classroom, you will be attending the lecture online. The weekly announcements mentions about the sessions happening in Mumbai.
Can I, an EPAT participant, attend online sessions on a mobile/tablet?
Yes, you can attend the sessions on the go using the required apps on smartphones and tablets. But we recommend attending sessions on your laptop/desktop as most of the sessions are hands-on.
Is the course 100% online or does any part of it involve physical presence?
It is 100% online and doesn’t require any physical presence.
How will I learn practical aspects of trading online?
In many ways:
- The curriculum is practice oriented. It is designed by practitioners who try to ensure that you learn the concepts really well from practitioner perspective.
- During practical sessions, the faculty would ask you to work along on your machine and might even quiz you in between and interact with you personally
- We believe in data, data, data. Almost every concept is discussed around data from financial markets.
- You would need to practice a lot on your own. This will be ensured through assignments which are open-ended and are individually graded.
Will I trade in live markets during classroom sessions?
No, you will not trade in live markets during the lecture hours or in the classroom sessions. However, you will be taught to paper trade and experts will share nuances that differ paper and live trading environment. When you take your strategies live and have doubts, as EPAT participant/alumni, you can get the required guidance from the faculty.
How will I, as an EPAT participant, interact with faculty members?
In many ways:
- During the lecture you get to interact with the faculty
- Post or before the lecture, you get to share your doubts and queries which will be resolved by the faculty
- During EPAT project work, you get to work under mentorship of a faculty member
- You can also interact with faculty through your support manager anytime!
What kind of help/assistance is available to an EPAT participant?
- A dedicated Support Manager who will guide you for the entire period of six months. Your manager will resolve your doubts and keep you motivated and engaged in this new and demanding career path
- You will get advice and answers from the faculty members who are industry practitioners
- You get career assistance from the career team, you will get help in building your resume, career counselling and more. You will start receiving job postings from the very first month
- We will share with you additional links & content to further enhance your learning
- Dedicated alumni cell is available post completion to help them grow in the algo domain and network with fellow alumnus
- Life long access to updated lecture notes and videos after you complete EPAT course successfully.
Which books and learning materials are available to an EPAT participant?
QuantInsti provides you with two books to be referred to during the program.
- Trading and Exchanges: Market Microstructure for Practitioners - Larry Harris
- Algorithmic Trading: Winning Strategies and Their Rationale - Dr. Ernest P. Chan (Also a faculty member)
Before starting EPAT, we provide primer modules to give you a head start and familiarize you with basics concepts and tools used during the program. We also share additional links & content to further enhance your learning.
What is the course schedule?
The total duration of the course is 6 months. It comprises of 4 parts:
- Live Lectures
- Test & Assignments
- Live Project (optional)
- Final Examination
Each lecture would ideally be of around 3 hours in duration, with two lectures in a week. The lectures take place over the weekends. To receive the detailed curriculum, please do write to us at email@example.com.
How will EPAT placement team help me in my job quest?
We have a dedicated in-house career cell that addresses any career related queries. The career cell receives job openings from 100+ placement partner firms from different countries.
Apart from sharing job opportunities, career cell conducts resume strengthening trainings, mock interviews, and provides you with sample assignment questions to prepare you for selection procedure. Placement assistance starts from the very first month and continues post course completion.
Do you guarantee a job after successful completion of the programme?
Short answer: No. We give placement assistance to all interested participants and alumni and try our best to find the appropriate match, however we don't guarantee getting a job, as it depends on many factors including but not limited to participants’ skillsets, past experience, performance in interview among others.
Is the career assistance offered by EPAT team available worldwide?
We do have placement partner firms in various parts of the world. We see most opportunities coming from US, India, Singapore, and Hong Kong.
What kind of roles and positions are available to EPAT certified professionals?
QuantInsti strives to bring all possible roles in Algorithmic Trading to our participants. Some of these profiles include:
- Quant Analyst
- Quant Researcher
You can read more about this here.
As a fresher in Finance, and an expert in coding, what are my prospects in the trading industry?
Knowing programming languages and coding is required for backtesting & automating your strategies hence candidates from coding background have an advantage. Companies are on a lookout for candidates with exposure to technology and finance both.The most suitable profile for them is a Quant Developer or Coder, however they can explore other roles as well.
Are internships also part of placement services provided by EPAT team?
Yes, we get internship, full-time employment, & freelancing opportunities from our partnered firms.
How many EPAT alumni have been placed? Who are they?
We see a few candidates placed almost every month. Some of these details are shared in our monthly newsletters. Please do write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you want more information.
What is the salary range that be expected post completion of the programme?
Job opportunities and offers depend on a number of factors such as educational background, Graduate/Post Graduate College/University, Certifications/Internships/Projects, past work experience, etc. Companies are generally looking for someone who has exposure to Tech & Finance background both.
Some examples of recent job opportunities & salary packages that we have shared with our participants through QuantInsti’s career cell are
- Data Scientist: INR 1.5 million per annum,
- Algo Trader: INR 800,000 per annum + incentives,
- HFT trader: up to INR 2 million per annum,
- Quant Research Analyst: INR 2 million per annum,
- Quantitative Research: AED 1,00,000 + up to 40 % incentives per annum,
- Trader: SGD 120,000 + performance linked bonus per annum,
- Trader Derivatives: HKD 384,000 per annum + performance linked bonus
Which hiring companies are partnered with QuantInsti?
We are currently partnered with 100+ companies, that includes Algo trading/HFT firms, investment banks, trading and brokerage houses, consulting companies. A partial list is available here.
What does QuantInsti do?
QuantInsti provides innovation and solutions to bridge the gap between finance and technology in the changing phase of the industry. It serves individuals, businesses, exchanges, data providers, brokers and other technology providers to achieve their common goal of excelling in Quant & Algo trading. QuantInsti provides both paid and free services to the industry.
- Dedicated programme for professional & career growth: EPAT®
EPAT® certification & placement services allow motivated individuals to build an exciting career in Algorithmic & Quantitative trading.
- Learn interactively at your own pace: Quantra®
Quantra is an e-learning portal that offers short, self-paced, interactive courses in topics such as Python for Trading, Machine Learning, Options Trading and many more, allowing a participant and businesses to pick and choose the skill set(s) they want to specialize into.
- Backtesting platform with historical data: Quantra Blueshift™
You can code & backtest your strategies for the Indian & US markets (on daily & minute level data) with Quantra Blueshift.
- Blogs, tutorials and trading models
- Algorithmic trading workshops, events and modules for exchanges and industry